Monday, July 19, 2010

Finding the Time

I think the hardest thing I've had to adjust to since moving up to Vermont is that for the first time since I've come out with my dressing I have to make time for it. When I first started in Boston I was working at a bar and on the nights of the drag show I would work in drag (that was how I started going out regularly and started to refine my look.) Once I moved to New York I put more of an emphasis on performing and after an initial dry spell I was usually performing at least once every few weeks. Performing is wonderful in and of itself but it also satisfied my need to get all dolled up and look fabulous. As a result I rarely got dressed up if I wasn't going out to perform or model.

Photo by Laura

However up here it's a different story. The opportunities to perform are going to be few and far between (will finally have my first show since moving at VT Pride this Saturday.) As a result it's become important that I make the time to feel pretty, otherwise it just won't happen. How often I'll feel the need is hard to say but I was lucky enough to get all gorgeous (in new clothes no less) and Laura snapped a few pictures. It's a bit of an odd thing because I haven't had to go out of my way to find a reason to dress since college.


Photo by Laura

That said there are some things that are nice about not having as many excuses to get dressed up. It makes the times that I do it feel a little less of a chore. On occassions in New York when I would have a few shows in the same week I would honestly get burned out. The make-up, the hair, the clothes, the heels... it's all rather exhausting. So in some ways it's nice to have it be an option rather than an obligation. That's not to say I wouldn't kill for a chance to hit a stage on a regular basis, because I would!

Photo by Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment