Friday, October 1, 2010

Looking Down the Barrel of a Very Packed Month

One of the things that was appealing about moving to Vermont was the thought of being able to slow down after having spent the last six years in busy cities (Boston and then New York.) Both Laura and I were looking forward to settling down into a more easy going existance in the place where we want to spend the rest of our lives. Well it might be relaxing a bit later but October is shaping up to be one hell of a busy month, though thankfully it's mostly for good reasons.


First off an update on the house hunting. The house we had made an offer on at the time I wrote about this before went to somebody else who made a higher bid. Ultimately both Laura and I feel this was for the best because we found a house we like even more and our offer was just accepted on it. Now it's just a matter of the inspection to make sure it won't fall down in a month and then we just have to close on it. This is extremely exciting, and while it's not ours until after closing this is still a big step. Once the seller accepts our offer they really can't back out and sell to somebody else unless we change our minds (which we're allowed to do based on what the inspection turns up.) We had to jump through even more hoops than I mentioned in my previous rant but it looks like it'll finally all be worth it.


Dressed as a Saloon Gal (one of my three Halloween outfits from last year)

Next up Laura and I will be going to a friend's wedding in CT next weekend. This puts us close enough to New York to be able to make an appearance at the Switch N Play's Octorber 8th Open Drag Night. Switch N Play is a drag troupe out of Brooklyn of which I was a memember while I was living in NYC. I was the only drag queen in the line up as all the other members were drag kings, and I have to say I really miss those guys! So anybody who's in the NYC area can catch me tearing up the stage for old time's sake at the Outpost Lounge in Brooklyn. You know you want to see it! Stopping in Brooklyn also means that Laura and I get to see Syd which is always a great time, plus she'll be shooting the show so expect some hot pictures in the future.

And let's not forget Halloween! Always been a favorite holiday, just because I love to get all dressed up (but you knew that already.) I have a costume that I'm working on getting the last few pieces for, and I'm hesitant to say what it's going to be for fear of jinxing it and not being able to delivery on my plans. Aw hell with it: I'm assembling a Vampire Hunter custome. Not any specific vampire slayer (I'm not trying to be Buffy,) just a more general killer of blood-suckers. I've got most of what I need I just need to fine tune it and pick up some prop items. So fingers crossed that I'm able to pull this off.


Now that we're in October I had to break out this picture! Photo by Art-i-ficial Photography.

Finally to wrap it all up October is also the month of Laura's birthday and our wedding anniversary! Four years of wedded bliss and counting. It may not seem like much but since most divorces happen within the first three years we've already beaten the odds. Not that there was ever any question! Now I just need to figure out what to do for her birthday... which frankly I kind of suck at. Well not totally suck (I've at least gotten better in the gift department) but she's so awesome at planning places to go or things to do and just generally making the whole thing special. Basically she's so much better at birthdays than I am so I kind of suck by comparison. We'll see how I do this time around... wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. When it comes to arranging presents or showing you affection, the general rule is do it yourself. At least I think it is... Like, if you cook the food, give something you spent time making, take her to a nice place you've found.. Well, I don't know. But, a suggestion perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the house. It sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - I do try for the personal touches but I'm just not very creative in that area. I'm working on it though.

    Lucrezia - Thanks so much, the stress won't really be over until we get handed the keys but it's headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete