Friday, October 15, 2010

Take Me Back to Manhattan (Well.... Brooklyn Actually)

I had known that I'd get back to New York City at some point to see friends and maybe do a show, and this past weekend that's just what happened. Through a bit of serendipity a wedding in CT that Laura and I were going to was the same weekend as Switch N Play's Open Drag Night. As a former member of the group I was eager for the chance to not only perform but see them and some of the regulars again. It was a perfect opportunity that we couldn't pass up.

From left to right Melina Malice, myself, Max Satisfaction, Manny Mango and K. James. Photo by Laura.

Visiting New York City was a rather surreal experience. I suppose part of what made it weird is that Laura and I haven't really been gone all that long (though it feels like forever.) Driving through our old neighborhood almost nothing had changed... except the supermarket we used to shop at was gone and there was a new liquor story next door to our old apartment building. Guess we dodged a bullet on that one. Overall though driving through the city again was a bit like seeing an old friend... and realizing you never really liked them all that much.

Not to say it wasn't worth it, because it totally was. But that's because of the friends that we got to see again, and had nothing to do with the city itself. We got to have dinner with Syd London and catch up (damn that girl is busy as hell!) After that we had to get all done up to hit Outpost Lounge in Brooklyn for the show. I resurrected my take on Aretha Franklin's "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" that I'd done for VT Pride (seriously is there a song more custom made for cross-dressers?) Much more exciting though was a brand new number that I did with Laura's drag king persona Vaughn Amore. We'd done a number together before we left the city and it was great to come back and bring down the house again as a team.



Video by Melina Malice

As much fun as performing was the best thing without a doubt was seeing old friends. So to Syd, Bianca, Max, Manny, Kel, Melina, Lola, Minnie, Colin, Maria and everybody else who came out: I miss you guys! And don't worry, I'll be back as soon as the next opportunity arrises. Sadly that probably won't be until next year, what with all the house buying madness and then the holidays baring down. Fear not, I'll make it worth the wait!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure for how much longer this apartment will hold after that performance.

    ReplyDelete