Saturday, January 29, 2011

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 3

So "RuPaul's Drag Race" started its third season earlier this week. I had it recorded on the DVR but hadn't gotten around to watching it until earlier today. I'm a fan of the show but I don't think I'd ever seriously try to get on it. For myself I really don't know enough about making clothes, plus I don't really feel at home amongst drag queens. I know that might sound weird but in my time as a performer I became much more a part of the burlesque scene, and I really appreciated the more welcoming vibe of that scene. Drag queens tend to be... well frankly the tend to be bitchy. The problem is that most of them can't leave the diva attitude on the stage, so it spills over to the backstage and into their general attitude. Get too many divas in a room and nothing but drama will ensue. This makes for great TV of course, but not something I personally want to have to deal with.


There's some things I'm excited for this season. First there's three full bodied queens in the running. There's been one bigger queen in each of the previous seasons but they were cut the first and second week respectively. I'm not saying those particular queens from the first two seasons didn't deserve to be cut but it did feel like bigger girls weren't being well represented. Some of the best drag queens I've ever seen are larger girls and it's nice to see them get their due. Actually speaking of drag queens I know there were a few of them featured in the casting special before the first episode aired. While I wish they would have gotten in it made me smile to see them on the screen if only briefly.

The other thing I liked in the first episode was RuPaul pointing out to a rather distraught Mimi Imfurst that she can put together an outfit without knowing how to sew (thank god for hot glue.) This was just nice for me to see because the second season especially felt almost like more of a fashion design show than a drag show. I know the outfits are a huge part of it and knowing how to make your own gives it that personal touch, but making it look like you're not a real queen if you can't make a runway worthy dress out of scraps kind of ticked me off. The design work is still a big part and it always will be I suppose but it was nice to see it spelled out that not all the girls are awesome seamstresses and some just fake it until they make it.

I am a little concerned about the bitchiness level of some of the queens. I can appreciate a decent dose of reality drama but if things get too bitchy it just makes me want to tune out. The first season really had a great balance of clashing personalities but also a sense of family backstage. The second season saw a bit more of the diva crap going on and things got a little bit more back-stabby. My first impressions of the new cast are a little iffy to be honest, however I'm happy to say that one of the two queens who struck me as the bitchiest was cut in the first episode. So hopefully that'll bring the drama down to manageable proportions.

I may or may not post my thoughts on the show as it goes along but I suspect I'll probably let it be until the last episode then I might give a little wrap up piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment