Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Returning to Pride... Let the Panic Set In


I'm happy to announce that I've been booked to perform at this year's VT Pride in Burlington on 7/23. I was privelaged enough to be able to perform two numbers at last year's pride and have been hoping I'd get to go back and do it all over again. I don't know yet if I'll get to do one or two numbers, but I want to do at least one brand new piece... and that's where I'm running into trouble.

When I found out that I was booked for the show I thought coming up with a new piece would be easy: I just had to pick one of the pieces I'd been thinking about but never got around to doing when I was in NYC. The problem is that these dormant ideas fall into one of four categories. The first are numbers that simply aren't appropriate to the venue. This is a public show in a park and needs to be kept to PG-13, so any overly risque numbers are out. Then there's pieces that would be too elaborate for what I want to accomplish (requiring too many props or a set, etc.) Next are numbers that I really want to do as multi-person pieces, things I wish I'd been able to do with Switch N Play before I moved. Finally there's numbers that require costumes that I don't own and can't afford to buy in the time I have.

Relaxing before my first number at last year's Pride. Photo by Laura.


This last category is the most frustrating. There's a bridal number I've thought about doing for a while, but I don't have any part of the outfit. I don't even own white heels. While I wouldn't go out and buy an actual wedding dress, even putting together semblance of one requires many items and those costs add up.

I'm probably going to have to try to find a new song or two work with also, as all the songs I've been going over keep giving me ideas that fall into one of the previously mentioned categories. I'm sure I'll come up with something. I've got over two months, and I'm already excited!

The only sad note is that since she'll be neck deep into directing a play Laura won't be able to join me this year. Having her there was a big part of the fun last time. She hasn't gotten to see me perform as much as I would like and she took some great pictures and video last time. It won't be quite the same without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment