Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Early Dressing Memories: Nail Polish

Every now and then I find myself reminiscing about the earlier days of my dressing.  As I think I've mentioned before (or maybe not, I'm too lazy to look through old entries right now) High School was a bit of a dry spell for me.  I experimented with dressing in grade school but when my mother got married I suddenly found myself with step-siblings when I'd been an only child before.  So privacy went out the window and dressing went with it.



I do remember an incident in high school though with nail polish.  All four years of high school I sang in the school chorus and also got into the district chorus every year as well.  My freshmen year during some of the downtime at districts one of the senior males from my school was painting his finger nails, out of boredom I suspect.  There were enough colors to go around that a number of the other boys ended up doing the same.  I painted my nails for the first time, doing my left hand in a dark green.

I left it there for a while, something about the colors made it almost seem like somebody else's hand.  I found that I would instinctively hold my hand differently than I was before and it kind of intrigued me.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that it re-opened dressing for me but nail painting was almost a lifeline to dressing during the high school years.  My school had a dress code so I couldn't wear it most of the time.  But every now and then on long weekends or for Halloween I would do my nails.  More often I would do my toe nails, knowing they'd be covered and unseen.

I was just thinking about this because I did my nails for the first time in months this weekend, only to have to take it off for work today.  It was rewarding yet frustrating all at once... so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment